Posted by

Where to report a bikeway maintenance need in Monterey County, or maintenance needs for California State Highways

Para informar una necesidad de mantenimiento de ciclovías en el condado de Monterey en español

For public roads or other public bikeways, report conditions needing attention, such as:

vegetation overgrowth, traffic signal not triggered by bicycles (no bike detection), potholes, debris on shoulders or bikeways, bikeways not clearly marked, damaged or missing bikeway signs, construction obstacles, and other conditions interfering with safe and efficient travel by bike.

For all California highways

California highway maintenance needs are addressed by the California Department of Transportation / Caltrans. To report needs to Caltrans:

Caltrans responsibilities include state-controlled routes that serve as surface streets in local neighborhoods, such as S. Main Street / John Street (Route 68) in Salinas; Metz Road (Route 143) in Soledad; Merritt Street (Route 183) in Castroville; Market Street (Route 183) in Salinas; John McVeigh, Jr. Memorial Hwy (Route 198) in San Lucas; Canyon Del Rey Blvd (Route 218) in Del Rey Oaks and Seaside; and other state highways in Monterey County.

For needs within Monterey County 

Maintenance needs for all other Monterey County roads, local city streets, the Monterey Bay Sanctuary Scenic Trail’s Monterey County sections, and more are addressed by various local agencies. Below are three options for reporting needs:
  1. Regardless of the agency ultimately responsible for the maintenance, you may report the need to the Transportation Agency for Monterey County, and TAMC will forward your report to the appropriate agency. To report needs to TAMC via online Bike Service Request Form: Habla español: If you prefer to report needs to TAMC by phone, or would like a copy of the print version of the form so you can postal mail, fax, or hand deliver to TAMC’s office, contact TAMC.
  2. Monterey County also has a mobile app for reporting needs: Monterey County Connect / MCConnect. For details, plus download links for Apple and Google users, go to: 
  3. Would you prefer to contact local agencies directly? Links for Monterey County cities are included in our post “How to get notifications about Monterey County municipal meetings affecting people who bike.” (For example, as of 8/23/21, City of Monterey welcomes bikeway maintenance requests to be submitted through their Citizen Comment form: Also, to report damage or safety issues on the City of Monterey’s section of the Monterey Bay coastal trail, you may phone the city’s parks division, (831) 648-3860.)

No response after reporting a need?

City, county, and state staffers handle more than just bike service requests, of course. Occasionally it takes a follow-up report (“squeaky wheel gets the grease”) to move an item—such as sweeping debris out of the bike lanes—up their priority list.
If your report hasn’t been responded to after a reasonable length of time, perhaps try a reach-out on social media.

For example, bike commuters who pedal to a local church hadn’t received a response to their request for sweeping gravel that was left in the bike lane after resurfacing of Garden Road. Asking friends to make reports too may help get the attention of busy transportation and public works staff.

Photo above: Garden Road, City of Monterey, on May 28, 2018.

This post was published on 31 July 2017. One or more changes last made to this post on 8 November 2023.

Leave a Reply